RE: [L2CP] Re: Revised WG Charter Draft

"Wojciech Dec \(wdec\)" <wdec@cisco.com> Wed, 05 April 2006 11:35 UTC

Subject: RE: [L2CP] Re: Revised WG Charter Draft
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:34:29 +0200
From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <wdec@cisco.com>
To: "Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com>, l2cp@ietf.org

Hi Peter,

To address 1) we have put in the following statement in the charter
which you may have not noticed.

"The protocol design will not preclude other uses of L2CP."

WRT 2) we do not lay any claims to how different operators structure
their data bases, and some are probably better at doing it than others.
However it does seem to be a fairly common problem that the info related
to a single subscriber's network service needs to be farmed out and fed
into numerous custom built manager systems besides also the Radius DB.
The idea is to allow a mechanism, through the use of L2CP, to have the
Access node be provided with such information as and when needed by the
NAS which in turn accesses a common repository like a Radius DB.
Dave's statement was, I believe, in relation to different subject; that
of a wholesale-retail operation, where indeed the relationship is more
complex. However we do plan on addressing this as evidenced by the
statement in the charter:
"L2CP will address security aspects of the control protocol, including
the trust model between NAS nodes and access nodes."

Regards,
Woj.