Re: [L2tpext] Re: Local CE IP Address AVP

Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com> Sat, 30 April 2005 19:47 UTC

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:46:07 -0400
From: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com>
To: mark@mjlnet.com
Subject: Re: [L2tpext] Re: Local CE IP Address AVP
Cc: l2tpext@ietf.org
Sender: l2tpext-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Mark,

Please see inline.

Circa 4/30/2005 10:53 AM, Mark Lewis said the following:
> Hi Carlos,
>

>>IMHO, there are other specifics to the IP-L2 transport over
>
> L2TPv3 apart
>>from the `Local CE IP Address AVP'.
>
> Sure, the 'Local CE IP Address AVP' is obviously only designed
> for the ARP mediation component of IP-L2 transport.
>

>>For example, a PW Type for IP-L2
>>Transport is not yet defined (in any draft and thus not
>
> allocated),
>
> I thought that IP L2 transport had been allocated the PW type
> 0x000B, hadn't it??

No. The link below Section 2. (or 2.1. in version -09) references the
LDP (FEC128/129) "Pseudowire Type", which is a 15-bit quantity (1 bit
used in the FEC Element for Control-word).
   IANA needs to set up a registry of "Pseudowire Type".  These are 15-
   bit values.

In contrast, "L2TPv3 Pseudowire Types" uses a different number space or
registry created as part of RFC3931 (see Section 10.6) for these 16-bit
quantities:
   The Pseudowire Type (PW Type, see Section 5.4) is a 2-octet value
   used in the Pseudowire Type AVP and Pseudowire Capabilities List AVP

See also the registry "L2TPv3 Pseudowire Types" in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/l2tp-parameters

Regards,

--Carlos.