[L2tpext] Re: Local CE IP Address AVP

Ignacio Goyret <igoyret@lucent.com> Sat, 30 April 2005 03:28 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:24:07 -0700
To: mark@mjlnet.com
From: Ignacio Goyret <igoyret@lucent.com>
Cc: Wei Luo <luo@cisco.com>, l2tpext@ietf.org
Subject: [L2tpext] Re: Local CE IP Address AVP
Sender: l2tpext-bounces@ietf.org

This discussion should be continued in the WG list.

Document by Mark Lewis attached inline at the end of this message.

At 03:27 4/30/2005 +0100, Mark Lewis wrote:
>Hi Wei,
>
>Further to my idea for a 'Local CE IP Address' AVP, please see
>the attached word doc for a description.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark

Local CE IP Address AVP

The Local CE IP Address AVP (Attribute Type TBA) is used to signal
the IP address of a locally attached CE device to a remote LCCE.

The advertisement of the IP address of a CE device is relevant in
a LAC-to-LAC pseudowire deployment, where IP (routed) mode L2VPN
interworking is being used. In this case, a process referred to
as 'ARP mediation' as described in [draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-01.txt]
may be performed in order to resolve addresses.

The encoding of the Local CE IP Address AVP is as follows:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |M|H|0|0|0|0|    Length         |              0                |
   |              TBA              |       Local CE IP Address

   ++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++

The Local CE IP Address is a 4-octect field. It may contain either the
IP address of a locally attached CE device, or a NULL value (0).

The Local CE IP Address AVP MAY be present in ICRQ and ICRP messages if
the local CE device’s IP address is known at the time of pseudowire setup.

If the local CE device’s IP address becomes known (or changes) subsequent
to pseudowire setup, then the local CE device’s IP address MAY be
signalled to the remote LCCE by including a Local CE IP Address AVP in
an SLI message.

An SLI message containing a Local CE IP Address AVP with a NULL value (0)
MAY also be used to signal the withdrawal of the IP address of the locally
attached CE device.

The Mandatory (M) bit of the Local CE IP Address AVP SHOULD be set to 0,
and the Hidden (H) bit MAY be set to either 1 or 0.

The Length of the Local CE IP Address AVP is 10 octets.