RE: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draftprovisionong methods.

"Florin Balus" <balus@nortel.com> Mon, 05 December 2005 14:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:53:36 -0500
From: Florin Balus <balus@nortel.com>
To: Mustapha Aissaoui <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel.com>, Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>, L2VPN <l2vpn@ietf.org>
Cc: David McDysan <dave.mcdysan@mci.com>, bsd@cisco.com
Subject: RE: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draftprovisionong methods.
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

I agree with Mustapha's proposal: we should just deprecate AII type 1
before people start implementing it. All its functionality could be
easily reproduced if need be using AII type 2: just set Global ID and
Prefix fields to zero. L2VPN Signaling itself proposes a similar
approach for the 32 bits field associated with AII type 1 when it comes
to BGP auto-discovery: i.e. just re-use 32 bits from the NLRI for BGP
VPLS SAFI and set the other unnecessary fields to zero...

Note that AII type 2 will be required for L2VPN addressing: all the Use
Cases (e.g. MAN-WAN, Inter-provider, Scalability, private PE addressing)
described in MS-PW requirements draft apply also for L2VPNs (PWs being
used as infrastructure).

So there won't be a clear cut between the 2 cases outlined by Luca
below: there will be plenty of scenarios where 2 VSIs (VPLS)/Pools
(VPWS) will need to be connected via a MS-PW.

Moreover there will be cases where the same PE will have to connect its
VSI to remote ones using both SS and MS-PWs. How does the PE choose when
to use one AII type versus the other? Definitely that should not happen
based on whether the PW goes one hop or multiple hops.

Everybody will require sooner or later support for MS-PWs. So I think
it's a good idea to put in place early in the L2 build up, the L2
addressing that will easily accommodate the MS-PW expansion instead of
trying to live with 2 addressing plans: one unique per AGI (AII type 1),
one globally unique (AII type 2).

Focusing on one addressing format will maximize also technology re-use
(MS/SS-PWs transparently applicable to Individual VCs, VPWS, VPLS) and
will avoid interoperability issues between vendors and SPs.

Regards,
Florin