Re: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draftprovisionong methods.

Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com> Mon, 05 December 2005 17:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:25:38 -0700
From: Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>
To: Florin Balus <balus@nortel.com>
Cc: L2VPN <l2vpn@ietf.org>, David McDysan <dave.mcdysan@mci.com>, Mustapha Aissaoui <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel.com>, bsd@cisco.com
Subject: Re: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draftprovisionong methods.
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Florin,

Florin Balus wrote:
> I agree with Mustapha's proposal: we should just deprecate AII type 1
> before people start implementing it. All its functionality could be
> easily reproduced if need be using AII type 2: just set Global ID and
> Prefix fields to zero. L2VPN Signaling itself proposes a similar

Prefixing the fields to 0 just means that you really have encoded a new
AII type , but you are hiding it.
What happens when a new provisioning model comes along ? do we put all
the fields to 0xffff ?

> approach for the 32 bits field associated with AII type 1 when it comes
> to BGP auto-discovery: i.e. just re-use 32 bits from the NLRI for BGP
> VPLS SAFI and set the other unnecessary fields to zero...
>
> Note that AII type 2 will be required for L2VPN addressing: all the Use
> Cases (e.g. MAN-WAN, Inter-provider, Scalability, private PE addressing)
> described in MS-PW requirements draft apply also for L2VPNs (PWs being
> used as infrastructure).
>
> So there won't be a clear cut between the 2 cases outlined by Luca
> below: there will be plenty of scenarios where 2 VSIs (VPLS)/Pools
> (VPWS) will need to be connected via a MS-PW.

Yes , and this case is handled properly in the l2vpn-signaling draft.
For VPLS the PW-Switching point PE is a BGP speaker, hence it can
advertise the VPLS with itself as a next hop. This will initiate the
MS-PW segments correctly through the S-PE ( basically , the BGP speaker
itself )

> Moreover there will be cases where the same PE will have to connect its
> VSI to remote ones using both SS and MS-PWs. How does the PE choose when
> to use one AII type versus the other? Definitely that should not happen
> based on whether the PW goes one hop or multiple hops.

there is no need to choose. In this case , the BGP message contains 2
piece of information: "please setup a PW to myself" , and " here is the
VSI you should connect the PW to"

This is very different from the MS-PW BGP message that simply says "you
can reach this PW AC address here" .

> Everybody will require sooner or later support for MS-PWs. So I think
> it's a good idea to put in place early in the L2 build up, the L2
> addressing that will easily accommodate the MS-PW expansion instead of
> trying to live with 2 addressing plans: one unique per AGI (AII type 1),
> one globally unique (AII type 2).
>
> Focusing on one addressing format will maximize also technology re-use
> (MS/SS-PWs transparently applicable to Individual VCs, VPWS, VPLS) and
> will avoid interoperability issues between vendors and SPs.

The reason we had an AII type field is to allow different provisioning
schemes ...
what would be the point to have only one AII type ?

Although I think this is fairly complicated, keeping the AII type 1 as
is , ( which is used in a different context ) does not preclude any of
the MS-PW technology from being used.
On the contrary , only using AII type 2 , precludes the autodiscovery
methodology described in the l2vpn-signaling draft, unless most fields
are set to 0 which gets us right back to AII type 1.

Thanks.
Luca