RE: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draftprovisionong methods.

"Florin Balus" <balus@nortel.com> Tue, 06 December 2005 16:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:33:30 -0500
From: Florin Balus <balus@nortel.com>
To: Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>
Cc: L2VPN <l2vpn@ietf.org>, David McDysan <dave.mcdysan@mci.com>, Mustapha Aissaoui <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel.com>, bsd@cisco.com
Subject: RE: AII differences between PW routing and l2vpn signalling draftprovisionong methods.
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Luca,

It looks like we are making progress here. Let me summarize what I
understood from your follow up:
- you are acknowledging that VPLS/VPWS might use either one or a
combination of both MS and SS-PWs to interconnect their VSIs/VFs
associated with their pools?
- in your view AII type 1 and implicitly the (AGI, 32 bit AII)
addressing scheme solves in the simplest way the provisioning model for
VPLS/VPWS based on <BGP> Autodiscovery of the endpoints?

Can you confirm my summary?

I am happy with the first part. For the second part we should also note
there are a good chunk of L2VPNs (all currently deployed LDP-VPLS)
provisioning models where no AD is used/available. In my opinion, AII
type 2 is a must in these scenarios whenever at least one MS-PW is
involved. That is the first reason for saying that there is not a clear
delineation - AII type 1 for L2VPNs, type 2 for Individual MS-PWs.

On the other hand, I agree that until a new scheme for AD-based
provisioning model is described, the one described in L2VPN Signaling is
the only one available. Still I still think what is happening during the
<BGP> AD process does not dictate what is included in the fields used
for PW Signaling phase. Furthermore before closing on where each AII
type should be used, I think we should spend some time looking into
options to streamline the BGP AD procedures for the generalized case
(where either a MS/SS-PW may be used for L2VPNs).

See also in-line...

Thanks,
Florin

Is that a problem? Isn't the same thing proposed for BGP Autodiscovery
in L2VPN Signaling: all the NLRI fields from BGP VPLS SAFI are set to
zero except a 32 bits one...

In any case I just mentioned the above option (set Global ID, Prefix
fields to zero) as a posibility. I don't really see a problem to include
the real values for the Global ID and Prefix fields when signaling any
PW, regardless of whether it connects VSIs/Pools/VFs, or whether it is
SS/MS type.

>What happens when a new provisioning model comes along ? do we put all
>the fields to 0xffff ?

I was speaking about the well known L2VPN models we are aware of: i.e.
individual VCs, VPWS, VPLS. Provisioned or autodiscovered. I am saying
that in all three of them you can use nicely an AII type 2 to signal the
PW building blocks, without worrying whether it is a SS/MS-PW. As per my
first in-line note, I think it's actually a good idea to include for all
of them Global ID and Prefix field. The AC ID is the only field that
needs to be set to 0 only for non-distributed VPLS.

>> approach for the 32 bits field associated with AII type 1 when it
>> comes to BGP auto-discovery: i.e. just re-use 32 bits from the NLRI
>> for BGP VPLS SAFI and set the other unnecessary fields to zero...
>>
>> Note that AII type 2 will be required for L2VPN addressing: all the
>> Use Cases (e.g. MAN-WAN, Inter-provider, Scalability, private PE
>> addressing) described in MS-PW requirements draft apply also for
>> L2VPNs (PWs being used as infrastructure).
>>
>> So there won't be a clear cut between the 2 cases outlined by Luca
>> below: there will be plenty of scenarios where 2 VSIs (VPLS)/Pools
>> (VPWS) will need to be connected via a MS-PW.
>>

>Yes , and this case is handled properly in the l2vpn-signaling
>draft. For VPLS the PW-Switching point PE is a BGP speaker,
>hence it can
>advertise the VPLS with itself as a next hop. This will initiate the
>MS-PW segments correctly through the S-PE ( basically , the
>BGP speaker
>itself )

See my reply in the summary (for the second part)...

>> Moreover there will be cases where the same PE will have to connect
>> its VSI to remote ones using both SS and MS-PWs. How does the PE
>> choose when to use one AII type versus the other? Definitely that
>> should not happen based on whether the PW goes one hop or multiple
>> hops.
>>

>there is no need to choose. In this case , the BGP message contains 2
>piece of information: "please setup a PW to myself" , and "
>here is the
>VSI you should connect the PW to"

I understand and agree with the AD description in L2VPN Signaling. But
then during the Signaling step, what stops us from putting "myself" info
in the AII type 2 fields?

>This is very different from the MS-PW BGP message that simply
>says "you
>can reach this PW AC address here" .
>
>> Everybody will require sooner or later support for MS-PWs.
>So I think
>> it's a good idea to put in place early in the L2 build up, the L2
>> addressing that will easily accommodate the MS-PW expansion
>instead of
>> trying to live with 2 addressing plans: one unique per AGI (AII type
>> 1), one globally unique (AII type 2).
>>
>> Focusing on one addressing format will maximize also
>technology re-use
>> (MS/SS-PWs transparently applicable to Individual VCs, VPWS,
>VPLS) and
>> will avoid interoperability issues between vendors and SPs.
>>

>The reason we had an AII type field is to allow different provisioning
>schemes ...
>what would be the point to have only one AII type ?

Yes I agree as long as it is clear that one can't do it easily with
existing ones.

>Although I think this is fairly complicated, keeping the AII type 1 as
>is , ( which is used in a different context ) does not preclude any of
>the MS-PW technology from being used.
>On the contrary , only using AII type 2 , precludes the autodiscovery
>methodology described in the l2vpn-signaling draft,
>unless most fields are set to 0
>which gets us right back to AII type 1.

I would just say here that we should spend more time discussing options
before reaching a conclusion.