RE: Merge MAC Withdraw Drafts?

"Balus, Florin Stelian (Florin)" <florin.balus@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 07 May 2010 17:30 UTC

From: "Balus, Florin Stelian (Florin)" <florin.balus@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <sajassi@cisco.com>, Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>, "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>, "Giles Heron (giles.heron@bt.com)" <giles.heron@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 12:30:05 -0500
Subject: RE: Merge MAC Withdraw Drafts?
References: <52AAA34A-CB83-4588-8E1A-E003578BDD80@castlepoint.net> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603AB3368@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com> <2073A6C5467C99478898544C6EBA3F46029E4DA33F@USNAVSXCHMBSC3.ndc.alcatel-lucent.com> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603AB35B8@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com> <2073A6C5467C99478898544C6EBA3F46029E4DA3C2@USNAVSXCHMBSC3.ndc.alcatel-lucent.com> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603B90F3C@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com>
acceptlanguage: en-US

Shane, Giles,

We have been rambling on this draft that requires only a new LDP TLV for way too long and I think we did our best to answers Ali's points. With the reply below I think we are at a point where we need to conclude it is ok to agree to disagree - this is supposed to be my night job! I wonder what will happen if we have to debate a 20 page draft! :)

Ali,

I will summarize the point that is left on scalability to make some steps towards the closure:
- you are admitting below there was "a perfect reason" to use LDP hop-by-hop for MS-PW status and LDP MAC Flush.
- you do not have any real example to demonstrate the LDP hop-by-hop procedure is broken - I prompted you to bring up any bad experience with implementing and deploying HVPLS, MS-PWs and I did not see any reply.
- I asked you to highlight also any initiative targeted at fixing these mechanisms in L2VPN or PWE3 and you did not reply with anything either.
- So we should conclude that this procedure is working just fine in real life deployments.
- We are proposing an enhanced use of this LDP hop-by-hop procedure where compared with the above mechanism the PE-rs do not perform any data plane function. Worthwhile to note for completion that VPLS Mesh does not use LDP hop-by-hop anyhow.

So in conclusion I think we need to close this thread too: there is no scaling problem and the proposed mechanism will work even better than in the MS-PW and HVPLS cases to address customer requirements for one toolset in an MPLS E2E scenario.

The rest is just academic discussion. I will try to address in-line anything that resembles some scalability discussion just because I like Ali. :)
The rest we can continue as a discussion in IEEE.

Florin

[[FB]] Summarizing the lack of reply for specific field/implementation issues with LDP hop by hop procedures + what you are saying above:
a. you are not saying that the solution proposed in draft-balus will not work in real life deployments
b. you are saying that the MIRP solution which is just being standardized will work better based on analyzing one particular dimension and without any real deployments to support your claims

If you are "to educate" your MPLS customers to move to a second tool you need to do better than this: i.e. you need to show that the LDP hop-by-hop procedure is broken and will not work. That means they made a mistake deploying it for the HVPLS and MS-PW solutions you sold them.

> > > c) faster convergence resulting in shorter service interruption
> > > d) consistent with the PBB-VPLS model that you co-authored with me
> !!
> >
> > [[FB]] The above are unsubstantiated, generic claims that should not
> be
> > considered when judging the merging proposal in my opinion. Again
> there
> > are lots of MS-PWs and HVPLS deployments where hop-by-hop LDP
> > propagation runs just fine today. I did not see any work item in
> L2VPN
> > or PWE3 flagging the behavior as a problem.
> >

> Hopefully by now the argument for faster convergence should be very
> clear !! Also, the reason for having the PBB-VPLS model as we defined
> it
> is to make sure that we have a clear demarcation between IEEE bridging
> and IETF L2VPN protocols and such allow for transparent operation of
> IEEE protocols when needed over LAN emulation module. The flush message
> is a perfect example of it where the flush message that is initiated by
> bridge module can be passed transparently over LAN emulation module.

[[FB]] There is no native PBB domain in our use case - this discussion is out-of-scope...