Summary of debate RE: Merge MAC Withdraw Drafts?

"Balus, Florin Stelian (Florin)" <florin.balus@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 10 May 2010 08:33 UTC

From: "Balus, Florin Stelian (Florin)" <florin.balus@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>, "shane@castlepoint.net" <shane@castlepoint.net>, "giles.heron@bt.com" <giles.heron@bt.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 03:32:44 -0500
Subject: Summary of debate RE: Merge MAC Withdraw Drafts?
References: <52AAA34A-CB83-4588-8E1A-E003578BDD80@castlepoint.net> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603AB3368@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com> <2073A6C5467C99478898544C6EBA3F46029E4DA33F@USNAVSXCHMBSC3.ndc.alcatel-lucent.com> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603AB35B8@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com> <2073A6C5467C99478898544C6EBA3F46029E4DA3C2@USNAVSXCHMBSC3.ndc.alcatel-lucent.com> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603B90F3C@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com> <2073A6C5467C99478898544C6EBA3F46029E5E61AA@USNAVSXCHMBSC3.ndc.alcatel-lucent.com> <7F115A41909B2641A9550322C4DF9D5603B912E1@xmb-sjc-22d.amer.cisco.com>
acceptlanguage: en-US

Since we had a long email exchange and Ali consolidated his arguments in one place I will do the same to make it easy for the WG to follow both sides.

Why VPLS operators want to extend LDP-based MAC Flush for PBB-VPLS?
- To provide one common tool for both VPLS/PBB-VPLS for the majority of MPLS-based use cases.
- Simplifies PBB-VPLS implementation: no certification required, no OSS modification (it looks like even Ali is agreeing on these ones)

Perceived problems with LDP-based MAC Flush brought up on the list by Ali

1. inconsistency between draft-pbb-vpls-pe-model and draft-balus - initial high level statement from Ali.

My answers:
We asked for clarifications two times and I am asking everybody to read Ali's latest clarification!
We have been redirected to yet another draft - draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop - which supposedly mandates that CMAC Flush should be done with native Ethernet mechanisms. Putting aside the lack of any MUST/clear statement on CMAC Flush in the quoted text I will pinpoint that RFC 4762 already does CMAC flush using LDP MAC Withdraw. So I conclude this problem is not a valid one.

Shane, Giles,

Do you see any problem here? Are we going to review RFC 4762? Also the expectation is that every party involved in email debates on this list should understand at least the meaning of keywords, not to speak about staying professional.

I don't want to have to go through yet another redirection, to a 3rd draft! :)

2. requires interoperability at the gateway between MPLS and native PBB domains

My answers:
- we never said the native PBB domain is in scope of the draft. We focused on MPLS use cases. So this issue does not apply.

To help Ali trim MIRP Pros list wrt his generic statement below about MIRP not having any "interop issue" here are some facts:
- interoperability between MIRP and LDP MAC Flush will need to be implemented anyhow for the following use cases: networks where native PBB domains are connected via PBB-VPLS to regular LDP VPLS domains.
- I mentioned also the case of the existing QinQ and new QinQ/G.8032 domains where MIRP does not cut it as one common tool across any use cases involving this kind of domains.

3. slow convergence - this is about the basic LDP hop-by-hop propagation

My answers:
- It looks from Ali's summary he agrees LDP hop-by-hop procedure works just fine in the field for HVPLS and MS-PW.
- our proposed procedure is improving substantially the use of the LDP hop-by-hop procedure - no data plane changes in the intermediate PEs compared with regular HVPLS - easy to see why we believe there will be no issue with its use for PBB-VPLS.

On the improvement claim between MIRP and LDP-based MAC Flush:
- To decide whether to add a second tool, any MPLS operator will ask what is the difference compared with existing LDP MAC Flush. Any implementer of MAC Flush procedure knows that in a good LDP implementation the time it takes LDP to propagate a message in the switch (control plane) is actually negligible compared with the time it takes even to deliver the LDP payload from one PE to the other.

I asked Ali to quantify what "slower" means and I did not see any reply. I wish him luck in his endeavor to improve our operators "education"! :)

I apologize for the long email. I did my best to summarize all the arguments and responses but it has been a long exchange.

Regards
Florin