RE: Call for Participation: Using IP Overlays to provide L2 Virtualization

"Shahram Davari" <davari@broadcom.com> Tue, 04 October 2011 17:22 UTC

From: Shahram Davari <davari@broadcom.com>
To: David Allan I <david.i.allan@ericsson.com>, Giles Heron <giles.heron@gmail.com>, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>, Paul Unbehagen <paul@unbehagen.net>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:25:35 -0700
Subject: RE: Call for Participation: Using IP Overlays to provide L2 Virtualization
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>

Here is my 2c:

There is certainly big overlap between data center networking and L2VPN. However there are also some data center requirements, which I am not sure is in the scope of L2VPN WG such as:

1) Private IP addresses are OK in data center, since it is confined to a close environment
2) Most likely no IPV6 is needed
3) Scales are much higher than Service Provider networks. For example there can be tens of thousands of Top of Rack switches and millions of VPNs
4) connection Security is not a big concern
5) OAM is not a big concern
6) Advanced load balancing is required including L2-L7
7) Efficient Multicast from multiple members of a multicast group is required
8) Network management does a lot of the control plane functions
9) Core of data center is not MPLS (just IP or Ethernet)
10) Interworking between Data centers is required (may require translation of VPN identifier from local to global)

Thx
Shahram