Re: Call for Participation: Using IP Overlays to provide L2 Virtualization

"Bitar, Nabil N" <nabil.n.bitar@verizon.com> Tue, 04 October 2011 21:34 UTC

From: "Bitar, Nabil N" <nabil.n.bitar@verizon.com>
To: Shahram Davari <davari@broadcom.com>, David Allan I <david.i.allan@ericsson.com>, Giles Heron <giles.heron@gmail.com>, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>, Paul Unbehagen <paul@unbehagen.net>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:36:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Call for Participation: Using IP Overlays to provide L2 Virtualization
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>

Hi Sharam,
Please see inline as a contributor opinion.

Thanks,
Nabil

On 10/4/11 1:25 PM, "Shahram Davari" <davari@broadcom.com> wrote:

>Here is my 2c:
>
>There is certainly big overlap between data center networking and L2VPN.
>However there are also some data center requirements, which I am not sure
>is in the scope of L2VPN WG such as:
<NB> Maybe, but I think what is not in scope or cannot be in scope would
need to be identified.

>1) Private IP addresses are OK in data center, since it is confined to a
>close environment
<NB> I am not sure whose IP addresses are being referred to. However, that
is assumed in all cases. If a customer connects to an L2VPN, they may be
using private or public IP addresses. There is nothing that restricts this
addressing one way or the other.
>2) Most likely no IPV6 is needed
<NB> Why would that assumption be made? I think it is safe to assume that
if the data center will be serving public customers or serving
enterprises, it would need to support IPv6.

>3) Scales are much higher than Service Provider networks. For example
>there can be tens of thousands of Top of Rack switches and millions of
>VPNs
<NB> Data center driven requirements from scale aspect, resiliency or
network efficiency and solutions to address them are in scope of the l2vpn
WG.
>4) connection Security is not a big concern
<NB> ?

>5) OAM is not a big concern
<NB> why would one think so, and OAM for what is not a concern.

>6) Advanced load balancing is required including L2-L7
<NB> Load-balancing is factored in as far ECMP etc., but I am not sure for
data path perspective, why you would be concerned about application layer
load-balancing

>7) Efficient Multicast from multiple members of a multicast group is
>required
<NB> This pertains to both L2 and L3 and L2VPN and L3VPN address that and
if something is identified as lacking, then it should be addressed
>8) Network management does a lot of the control plane functions
>9) Core of data center is not MPLS (just IP or Ethernet)
<NB> IP-only PSN is within scope