[lemonade] Discovery of available conversions in CONVERT: poll results

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Sat, 09 February 2008 16:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 23:02:55 +0000
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Lemonade WG <lemonade@ietf.org>
Subject: [lemonade] Discovery of available conversions in CONVERT: poll results
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

7 people have replied to the questionnaire (including myself). Below are
the results:

Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> Q1: Some questions regarding understanding of METADATA-SERVER
> (draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt) extension (please answer to
> each question with Yes (true) or No (false))
>
> A). METADATA-SERVER depends on LIST-EXTENDED extension
> (draft-ietf-imapext-list-extensions-18.txt).
> B). METADATA-SERVER depends on ENABLE extension
> (draft-gulbrandsen-imap-enable-05.txt).
> C). A server implementing METADATA-SERVER must implement multiple
> comparators.
> D). METADATA-SERVER requires implementation of both .priv and .shared

I am highly disappointed that most of the people got answers to this
question wrong.
Correct answers:
A). No
B). Yes
C). No
D). No

> Q2: Should CONVERT support the following conversion discovery
> mechanism: "Give me this body part in a format that I probably
> understand"
> (feel free to select multiple answers, unless you answer No or Undecided)
>
> Answers:
> 1). No
> 2). Yes, I am happy with Dave Cridland's proposal (see section 2.1 of
> draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt or
> <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lemonade/current/msg04264.html>)
> 3). Yes, but I would like to suggest another proposal
> 4). Undecided

Most of the people are in favor of 2. Some people were undecided, but
not against it.
So, I will be adding Dave's proposal to the next revision of CONVERT.

> Q3: Should CONVERT support the following conversion discovery
> mechanism: "What can I turn this body part into?"
> (feel free to select multiple answers, unless you answer No or Undecided)
>
> Answers:
> 1). No
> 2). Yes, I prefer to use METADATA-SERVER extension (see section 2.2.1
> of draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt, also see
> draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt for more information)
> 3). Yes, I prefer to use Dan Karp's proposal (see section 2.2.2 of
> draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt or
> <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lemonade/current/msg04297.html>)
> 4). Yes, I prefer Arnt's proposal for advertising target MIME types
> (or similar tokens) in the CAPABILITY response, e.g.:
>
> * CAPABILITY ... CONVERT=JPEG ... CONVERT=MP3 ...
>
> 5). Yes, but I would like to suggest another proposal
> 6). Undecided

Consensus on this question was rough:

2 people were against this (choice 1). Everybody else were in favor of
one of the yes choices (2, 3 or 4). Among these people, majority
preferred choice 3, with choices 2 and 4 both being the second favorite
choice.

So I think we will go with Dan's proposal.

> Q4: Should CONVERT support discovery of available conversion
> parameters for a particular conversion?
> (feel free to select multiple answers, unless you answer No or
> Undecided) Note that a separate question is asking if discovery should
> be optional or mandatory for servers to implement.
>
> Answers:
> 1). No, reporting that a particular conversion parameter is not
> supported (see CONVERT draft) is sufficient
> 2). Yes, I prefer to use METADATA-SERVER extension (see section 2.2.1
> of draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt, also see
> draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt for more information)
> 3). Yes, I prefer to use Dan Karp's proposal (see section 2.2.2 of
> draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt or
> <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lemonade/current/msg04297.html>)
> 4). Yes, I would prefer to list available conversion parameters upon a
> CONVERT command failure caused by an unrecognized conversion
> parameter, for example:
>
>      C: b002 CONVERT 2 ("text/plain" ("mumble" "hrrr"))
>          (BINARY[3] BODYPARTSTRUCTURE[3])
>      S: * 2 CONVERTED (tag "b002") (BODYPARTSTRUCTURE[3]
>          (ERROR "Parameter mumble is not supported for text/plain"
> BADPARAMETERS
>          "text/html" "text/plain" ("mumble" "hrrr")))
>      S: * CONVERSIONS "text/html" "text/plain" "charset"
> "UNKNOWN-CHARACTER-REPLACEMENT"
>      S: b002 OK Some conversions failed
> 5). Yes, but I would like to suggest another proposal
> 6). Undecided

Consensus on this question was even more rough.

One person was against this (i.e. choice 1).
Choices 3 and 4 had about equal number of votes (counting peoples second
choices), so I think I will need to poll people again to confirm which
one of those two they prefer.

> Q5: If you answered Yes to Q4: should the conversion parameter
> discovery be Mandatory or Optional for servers to support?

Most people thought that it should be mandatory.