RE: [lemonade] POLL: discovery of available conversions in CONVERT

<Zoltan.Ordogh@nokia.com> Mon, 28 January 2008 08:39 UTC

Subject: RE: [lemonade] POLL: discovery of available conversions in CONVERT
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:39:18 +0200
thread-topic: [lemonade] POLL: discovery of available conversions in CONVERT
From: Zoltan.Ordogh@nokia.com
To: alexey.melnikov@isode.com, lemonade@ietf.org

Hi Alexey,
please find my answers below.

Q1:
===
A - yes (in case mailbox annotation is supported)
B - yes (always)
C - no (if there is none though, unicode-casemap is mandatory)
D - yes (though not explicitly stated -> improve text?)

Q2:
===
2. Note: it looks good on paper, the question is how efficient and useful this will be in practice (when will a client declare it, client has to remember that it has declared it already, what happens if it was not declared, etc).

3. While Dave's proposal is good, it might seem a logical choice to store the client capabilites as METADATA (or, some other form) so that it does not need to be disclosed during each session. This seems like a good candidate for the client identification draft as well. Some vendors expressed their concerns about the METADATA extension though - so it might not be such a good idea in the end.

Q3:
===
1. If "I do not know what this thing can be turned into", it might be more efficient to ask the server "just give me something I understand".

5. I suggested earlier to allow the client to request anything, and return the possible conversions only when there was an error. Arnt's proposal (advertise the list of MIME types) would imrove this: the MIME type chosen by the client will be always correct and only the parameters could be wrong.

Q4:
===
4. See improvement suggestion (using Arnt's proposal) above: Q3/5.

Q5:
===
I think that answer Q4/4 implies that it would be mandatory.

Best regards: Zoltán Ördögh
E-mail: zoltan dot ordogh at nokia dot com
Phone: +358 50 386 0566