[lemonade] POLL: discovery of available conversions in CONVERT

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Fri, 25 January 2008 18:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:03:28 +0000
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Lemonade WG <lemonade@ietf.org>
Subject: [lemonade] POLL: discovery of available conversions in CONVERT

Hi everyone,
After reviewing comments on CONVERT capability discovery received during
and after WG LC it looks like there is no consensus (at least not yet)
to use any particular mechanism. Please correct me if you think otherwise.

So in order to figure out if the WG prefers any particular mechanism I
suggest that people answer the following questionnaire. Some questions
allow for multiple choices. Please list them in the order of your
preferences.

In order to correctly answer the questionnaire, one needs to:
1). have basic understand about CONVERT, ideally read
draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-13.txt
2). review draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt
3). review draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt

Please either send your replies to the Lemonade WG mailing list, or if
you prefer - directly to me, CCing Peter Coates <peter.coates@sun.com>,
Eric Burger <eburger@bea.com>, Glenn Parsons <gparsons@nortel.com>.

Please send your response before February 8th.

Q1: Some questions regarding understanding of METADATA-SERVER
(draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt) extension (please answer to each
question with Yes (true) or No (false))

A). METADATA-SERVER depends on LIST-EXTENDED extension
(draft-ietf-imapext-list-extensions-18.txt).
B). METADATA-SERVER depends on ENABLE extension
(draft-gulbrandsen-imap-enable-05.txt).
C). A server implementing METADATA-SERVER must implement multiple
comparators.
D). METADATA-SERVER requires implementation of both .priv and .shared

Q2: Should CONVERT support the following conversion discovery mechanism:
"Give me this body part in a format that I probably understand"
(feel free to select multiple answers, unless you answer No or Undecided)

Answers:
1). No
2). Yes, I am happy with Dave Cridland's proposal (see section 2.1 of
draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt or
<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lemonade/current/msg04264.html>)
3). Yes, but I would like to suggest another proposal
4). Undecided

Q3: Should CONVERT support the following conversion discovery mechanism:
"What can I turn this body part into?"
(feel free to select multiple answers, unless you answer No or Undecided)

Answers:
1). No
2). Yes, I prefer to use METADATA-SERVER extension (see section 2.2.1 of
draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt, also see
draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt for more information)
3). Yes, I prefer to use Dan Karp's proposal (see section 2.2.2 of
draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt or
<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lemonade/current/msg04297.html>)
4). Yes, I prefer Arnt's proposal for advertising target MIME types (or
similar tokens) in the CAPABILITY response, e.g.:

* CAPABILITY ... CONVERT=JPEG ... CONVERT=MP3 ...

5). Yes, but I would like to suggest another proposal
6). Undecided

Q4: Should CONVERT support discovery of available conversion parameters
for a particular conversion?
(feel free to select multiple answers, unless you answer No or
Undecided) Note that a separate question is asking if discovery should
be optional or mandatory for servers to implement.

Answers:
1). No, reporting that a particular conversion parameter is not
supported (see CONVERT draft) is sufficient
2). Yes, I prefer to use METADATA-SERVER extension (see section 2.2.1 of
draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt, also see
draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-12.txt for more information)
3). Yes, I prefer to use Dan Karp's proposal (see section 2.2.2 of
draft-melnikov-lemonade-convert-discovery-00.txt or
<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lemonade/current/msg04297.html>)
4). Yes, I would prefer to list available conversion parameters upon a
CONVERT command failure caused by an unrecognized conversion parameter,
for example:

      C: b002 CONVERT 2 ("text/plain" ("mumble" "hrrr"))
          (BINARY[3] BODYPARTSTRUCTURE[3])
      S: * 2 CONVERTED (tag "b002") (BODYPARTSTRUCTURE[3]
          (ERROR "Parameter mumble is not supported for text/plain"
BADPARAMETERS
          "text/html" "text/plain" ("mumble" "hrrr")))
      S: * CONVERSIONS "text/html" "text/plain" "charset"
"UNKNOWN-CHARACTER-REPLACEMENT"
      S: b002 OK Some conversions failed

5). Yes, but I would like to suggest another proposal
6). Undecided

Q5: If you answered Yes to Q4: should the conversion parameter discovery
be Mandatory or Optional for servers to support?