Re: [lisp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-03.txt

jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) Tue, 22 October 2013 01:42 UTC

To: lisp@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:42:07 -0400
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [lisp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-03.txt

    > directories.
    > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction

So I was asked to release a new version, to show the changes made at the
Interim WG meeting, which I have now done, after some more changes, directed
by the Interim, were also taken care of. I haven't managed to get all the
small ones called for later in the document done, but all the main changes
should now be in.

The side-by-side multi-coloured one at:

  http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-03.txt

is better, IMO.

The changes made at the Interim were major trimming of the Abstract, Prefatory
Note, Deployment Philosophy, and Initial Applications sections, along with a
whole host of small editing tweaks throughout the document.

Since then, responding to direction from the Interim on larger things we
couldn't do in real time, I have:

- Formally divided the document into "Part I" and "Part II" (it already had
that division, but now we have labels on it). Alas, I couldn't get these to
work the way I wanted; Terry mentioned a "toc" attribute to <section>, but it
did exactly the opposite of what I wanted (which was to have them appear in
the TOC, but not have section numbers; it still assigned them numbers, but
didn't show them in the TOC). I will try a number of hacks to see if I can
get it to do what I want, but I am not hopeful. If anyone can make XML2RFC do
what I want, I'd be appreciative.

- Created an 'Initial Glossary' at the start of the document, to contain the
most-used and more general terms. (The detailed glossary of LISP-specific
terms remains at the end; most would be 'forward references' if placed at the
start of the document, and couldn't really be fully understood without reading
the document, so... why put them at the start, to delay getting to the meat of
the content, not to mention baffling naive readers, etc, etc?) Also, a whole
raft of terms have been added, and the text has been changed to consistently
use them (I hope). That all allowed a number of 'in-line' definitions early in
the text to be removed, helping it flow better.

- There is also now a consistent syntax to indicate when a term is used which
is defined in a glossary.

- Changed the document to use a number of alterntive terms. (In particular,
'DDT node', used to refer to nodes in the namespace abstraction hierarchy,
turned out to be a conflict with a different use of that term elsewhere, so it
has been replaced with 'vertex'.)

- A large amount of text about perfomance studies in "Mapping Cache
Performance" (in "Major Functional Subsystems") has been moved later down to a
new section "xTR Mapping Cache Performance" (in "xTRs"), and a brief synopsis
left in its old place.

- The section "Long-term Possibilities" (from "LISP and DFZ Routing") was
moved out of the document, to the new "Improvements" document (which will have
to be renamed to "Improvements and Evolution", as a result).

I'm going to keep working on this, and hope to release the last version to
which we make major changes around the time the I-D window opens again; the
version after that I hope will only need spelling/grammar/typos etc taken

	Noel