Re: [lmap] Which performance metrics for LMAP?

"MORTON JR., ALFRED (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Thu, 07 March 2013 15:53 UTC

From: "MORTON JR., ALFRED (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "lmap@ietf.org" <lmap@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:53:28 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [lmap] Which performance metrics for LMAP?

Hi Benoit,

You've asked four good questions today, I'll take a stab at this one.

IMO, the metrics chosen need to serve two purposes, at least.

One set of metrics describe the packet transfer service (at the service layers).
Another (somewhat overlapping) set help subscribers understand
how well their applications will perform on the service
(inferred from measurements at the service layer).

These two points of view (POV) and their implications
on metric selection/parameter settings/reporting for IP packet transfer
were investigated in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6703

IPPM's scope has always included transport layer, so your 5-tuple with
DSCP is covered there: these have all been part of the notion "packets of Type-P"
since the beginning, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2330#section-13
and these aspects are more important now than ever.

As a limit on "layer 3 and up", I would suggest that limited exceptions for
metrics at +transport layers would be useful, such as the DNS response time
metric constructed in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bagnulo-ippm-new-registry-independent-00#section-8

So IMO, LMAP infrastructure would support measurement at IP and transport layers
with a few notable exceptions, and look to others (IPPM WG) to select the best
metrics (and develop new ones, as necessary) for each POV that LMAP serves.

my 2cents,
Al