[lmap] LMAP framework issue #1 User-initiated Measurement Tasks

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Tue, 03 September 2013 16:59 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: lmap@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:58:32 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: [lmap] LMAP framework issue #1 User-initiated Measurement Tasks

We've now started creating an LMAP framework doc that merges 3 I-Ds (terminology and the 2 framework docs) - hoping it could be the basis for a WG doc - as mentioned in Berlin.

One section will be about proposed constraints /assumptions - extending http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eardley-lmap-framework-02#section-3

I'm going to send a series of emails to try and capture where I think the discussion got to in Berlin &/or propose text for the I-D &/or generate discussion on open issues.

Constraint: User-initiated Measurement Tasks out of scope of LMAP WG
We expect LMAP & IPPM functionality to be used for user-initiated Measurement Tasks, but the WG will not define how. There are at least two ways user-initiation could happen, in outline
* a user could somehow (perhaps via a webpage) request the ISP- (or regulator-) run measurement system to test his/her line. The ISP (or regulator) Controller would then send an Instruction to the MA in the usual LMAP way. The Measurement Results could be returned back via the webpage. Note that a user can't directly initiate a Measurement Task on an ISP- (or regulator-) controlled MA in their home
* a user could deploy their own measurement system, with their own MA, Controller and Collector (possibly with all three functions in the same box). The user may also want to report Measurement Results to a third party. One possible situation is that the home contains a user-controlled MA and an ISP-controlled MA; then the test traffic of one MA is treated by the other MA just like any other user traffic. Note that a single MA is instructed by a single Controller and is only in one measurement system.
For further details see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lmap/current/msg00714.html and related messages.

Comments?
Thanks
phil