Re: [lmap] LMAP framework issue #1 User-initiated Measurement Tasks

<trevor.burbridge@bt.com> Wed, 04 September 2013 07:49 UTC

From: trevor.burbridge@bt.com
To: marcelo@it.uc3m.es, lmap@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 08:49:20 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: Re: [lmap] LMAP framework issue #1 User-initiated Measurement Tasks

I think both are very valid options. Comments below...

It is the ISPs measurement system. It is a perfectly valid option for the ISP to allow the users to use the same measurement system. The scenario you describe could actually be a benefit since the test traffic is known to the ISP who will discount this traffic from usage caps.

I really don't see any ISP trying to pretend their line speeds etc. are higher than they actually are - they wouldn't have to modify the network to do this - just lie about the result, but I really don't see this as plausible.

>The second option, i think it is the way to go, but as you wrote it it reads a
>bit weak. I woudl rather a stronger wording, like a MUST or at least a
>SHOULD (i mean, the user initiated measurement function MUST be availabel
>in the MA)

If this is a separate measurement system there IS a Controller. The user owns that Controller. There will be some management interface to that Controller to schedule or request tests, or maybe it's just a standard test schedule that is run. The management interface I think doesn't need to be standardised.