Re: [Lsr] LSR: Using DSCP for path/topology selection Q

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 16 November 2018 00:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 01:07:08 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Cc: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] LSR: Using DSCP for path/topology selection Q

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:28:27AM +0100, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Hey Toerless,
>
> Please observe that DSCP based steering may be very useful vehicle for end
> hosts/applications influencing how their packets are transported.
>
> So instead of closing that option I recommend we at least take a good look
> at what alternative mechanism exists.

I think back when DSCP was selected for MTR in implementations, it was
done so due to the absence of better options. But as i mentioned, the
overloading of DSCP between QoS and routing made it (in my memory)
undesirable to operators. And when designing new solutions with new QoS
like in DetNet its yet a similar possible problem.

If we hopefully do not need to find solutions for IPv4, i would rather
like to see something like what SR did, e.g.: IPv6 header extension. These
are AFAIK now also easily settable from linux programs (ok., maybe not
yet from javascript). Or much easier of course the existing IPv6
multi-addressing solutions where hosts can also lern semntics of these
addresses. And map to diffeent flex-topologies instead of just
multi-homing exit points (which i think was the main use-case so far).

> And btw I read Peter's note as possibility (or invitation) to define
> algorithm which takes into account DSCP rather then a announcement that
> this is not there and it should never be.

Sure, i am only talking about the solutions that tried to use DSCP for
routing so far. I think those failed. And when other agree and we codify
that, then that would not exclude the option for new work (like what
Peter may have in mind) to superceed that recommendation.

Cheers
    Toerless