Re: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

"Remo Tabanelli" <remo@t-bizcom.com> Tue, 15 September 2009 21:02 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:50:21 +0200
From: Remo Tabanelli <remo@t-bizcom.com>
To: Todd Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
Cc: "ietf-ltans@imc.org" <ietf-ltans@imc.org>
Subject: Re: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

On Mar, 15 Settembre 2009 9:47 pm, Todd Glassey wrote:
> Remo Tabanelli wrote:
>> On Mar, 15 Settembre 2009 7:53 pm, Bill Russell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Todd & Remo,
>>>
> Remo
> having personally taken a matter to the US Supreme Court (case
> #08-01088) , it aint anywhere as easy as we think it should be.  And to
> reinforce this, I am saying a 100 Page publication for the Supreme Court
> will cost about $10K to publish including the $40/Page typesetting fees
> for the final copy and the building of the various Tables at $100 a page
> or more for the typesetting alone. The figure in the binding cost  and
> cost of submit to the Court ($300 + courier fees), and since I speak
> from first hand experience arguing this is pointless.
>
> That aside, the IETF relies on its research exemption under section 107
> of the DCMA to allow it to talk about anything it likes - and that's the
> problem here since the users of the IETF standards are not legally
> allowed to use that code or IP in the real world just because the IETF
> told them they could reprint the standards-effort paperwork and content.
>
> It's one of the flaws in the logic the IETF puts forward. The IETF's
> license is not about anything other than the publication for the
> standards process and whether the people using those to implement code
> or not realize it the IETF cannot provide a right-to-use status on
> copyrighted work they dont own no matter what. Representing that they
> would or could do so may also be a criminal act of electronic fraud in
> this case in my opinion.

No Todd!
Let me say (friendly) that the flaw is in your side not on the IETF side!

Your flaw is argue that a single phrase in *plain language* or term is a
or can be a copyrigthed work "in se"!

1) As matter of fact you can made a "copyrigthed mark" with a common word
or phrase but this unaffect my freedom or right of using the term (or the
freedom of anyone in this world) except the fact that I cannot made a
product or a company with this name.

2) As matter of fact you can have used a term or phrase in copyrigthted
document or work or implementation but this unaffect my freedom to use the
same term in any other *different* (and... why not...also copyrighted
work).

The word "copy" before "right" have a "magic" sense here.

To be in "violation" I must not only use a single phrase or word.
I must "copy" significant parts of the context of the entire work and
apply it at the same case or implementation.
If *any* of these conditions does not match there is no violation!

That's the law my friend and international agreements have made and
produced similar criteria and laws in my country in your contry and so
on....

And (I repeat to be clear) I will challenge any allegation in any court,
in any country of this world about the sole use of the the term " Proof
Source Provider" or similar.

I and any other person in this world will be free (despite the fact that
the term is used or not used in a copyrigthed work) to use the term
"Proof Source Provider" and even to use it in another copyrigthed work!

But I want no more discuss this topic because i feel that I'm annoyng the
other folks in the WG

In short if you are cool with your opininion I am cool too with mine :)

Remo Tabanelli

P.S. I have also (me too) a first hand experience here on an Italian court
about the usability of the term "PKI Infrastructure"... (litteraly from
Italian language to English).
Someone (in Italy) was (in a very past time) attempting to affirm/claim a
copyrigth on this!