Re: Introduction (was: Re: [Ltru] draft-ietf-ltru-rfc4646bis-08)

Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie> Thu, 30 August 2007 16:39 UTC

From: Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie>
Subject: Re: Introduction (was: Re: [Ltru] draft-ietf-ltru-rfc4646bis-08)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:38:58 +0000
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

On 30 Aug 2007, at 16:26, scríobh Mark Davis:

> I find the typical Terms and Definitions sections at the start of
> many ISO documents actually counter-productive. The items are
> presented before you have any background for what the definitions
> really mean, and are in no cohesive order.

Alphabetical order is cohesive enough for most professional users.
Added to that, even for newbies, it is predictable, logical,
consistent with ISO documents in general, with which one would expect
most users of this list to be familiar.

> As you read the document, each technical term should be defined in
> the paragraph where it is first used. If that is not the case, then
> please make specific suggestions for additions to the text.

Is that the case with regard to this particular document, Mark? Or -
rather than asking that question -  let us assume that it is, then
have its editors simply cut and past each "first use mention" into a
"Terms and Definitions" section, so that it can be used by those used
to using dictionaries and ISO documents with the same ease as it can
be ignored by those who are not.

> I'm not, in theory, against having a glossary of collected terms at
> the end of the document for reference.

Good. It would be a worry if you were against including in the
document a glossary of collected terms (I say this because I
generally find myself in agreement with much of the content of many
of your msgs, and would not like this to be different).

> But I don't think it is worth the time and effort compared to
> getting the "first usage" instances correct. And it might better go
> in a "Language Tag Tutorial".

If you are proposing to compose a "Language Tag Tutorial", that would
probably be useful, as well  (but much more work for you to compile
than the usual "Terms and Definitions" component users of ISO
standards find so handy for ref.).
mg

> Mark
>
> On 8/30/07, Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie> wrote:
> I am in total agreement with DG on this matter (as set out below in
> her msg of today - as cited below - which msg of hers echoes the
> substance of one of mine of yesterday, I believe).
> mg
>
> On 30 Aug 2007, at 15:17, scríobh Debbie Garside:
>
> > ... I think to devise a Terms
> > and Definitions section would be very useful to newbies.  It would
> > also
> > cement the terminology for ease of use in other documents wishing to
> > reference the RFC.

- -
Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an