RE: Introduction (was: Re: [Ltru] draft-ietf-ltru-rfc4646bis-08)

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Fri, 31 August 2007 00:43 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: mark.davis@icu-project.org, 'Marion Gunn' <mgunn@egt.ie>
Subject: RE: Introduction (was: Re: [Ltru] draft-ietf-ltru-rfc4646bis-08)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:38:42 +0100
Cc: 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>

Mark wrote:

>I disagree. I've hit many instances where the definition of an ISO term
makes no sense until you've read enough of the way through the document to
understand it. Alphabetical is fine for reference *after* you've read the
document, but it is a nice to have, and not a requirement.

I agree, somewhat.  However, I find it useful to read the Terms first then
read the document whilst trying to remember the terms that are defined -
looking them up as I come across them to remind myself as to their meaning;
which by that time makes sense.  It means a bit of going backwards and
forwards sometimes but essentially it works in that there can be no
misunderstanding as to the authors intended meaning.  As Terminology is
really coming to the fore within industry this is now becoming quite
important.

Reading and understanding ISO standards is an art in itself :-)

Best

Debbie
PS When I first started out in Standardization it took me ages to fathom out
the meaning of Data Categories - I hadn't read the Ts and Ds ;-)  I thought
it was something really obscure.

  _____