Re: Introduction (was: Re: [Ltru] draft-ietf-ltru-rfc4646bis-08)

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Wed, 29 August 2007 05:27 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Introduction (was: Re: [Ltru] draft-ietf-ltru-rfc4646bis-08)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:27:50 -0700

I am in fairly weak agreement with Marion over the introductory text.
The wording about human beings on our planet, past and present, has
certainly been around since RFC 3066, but RFCs have become more formal
in their wording (and in other ways) since then.  RFC 4646 is over four
times as long as 3066 and might call for a different approach.  The
current wording has also been parodied more than once in other
documents.

I'm not so sure about putting a Definitions section near the front.
Like Martin, I've also had trouble with ISO documents that start me off
with pages of definitions of terms I've never seen before, and no
context in which to place them.  Usually I look for such reference
material near the end of a document, not the beginning.  What is
important is that all such material be in an easy-to-find place.

However, at this stage it is much more important to me that we resolve
the real technical debate over extlangs, and get the drafts to WG Last
Call, than to engage in fine-tuning and wordsmithing at this level.  The
current wording doesn't cause any confusion or misinterpretation.  If we
weren't already half a year behind schedule, I would probably care more
about this.

--
Doug Ewell · Fullerton, California, USA · RFC 4645 · UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/