Re: [manet] draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib and Performance Metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Cole, Robert G CIV USARMY CERDEC (US)" <robert.g.cole.civ@mail.mil> Fri, 24 May 2013 12:55 UTC

From: "Cole, Robert G CIV USARMY CERDEC (US)" <robert.g.cole.civ@mail.mil>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:54:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.64.62.4]
Cc: "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>, "draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib@tools.ietf.org" <draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-manet-smf-mib@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-smf-mib@tools.ietf.org>, 'Fred Baker' <fred@cisco.com>, "pm-dir@ietf.org" <pm-dir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] draft-nguyen-manet-ecds-mib and Performance Metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I agree that we should be more precise in our naming and descriptions.  This
question is showing up often in our MIB discussions.  I have made it a habit
of placing these counters within a PerformanceGroup instead of a
StatisticsGroup because I felt that Statistics implied we were collecting
statistical data (e.g., averages) instead of performance data (counts).  But
I agree that using the term Performance Metric goes too far and is not a
correct description of the data.  Going forward I'll try to be more
consistent and use the term 'Performance Information' as you all suggest and
as we did in RFC 6779.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert G. Cole