Re: [manet] MANET Protocol Applicability

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> Fri, 08 June 2012 08:58 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>, manet <manet@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:58:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Subject: Re: [manet] MANET Protocol Applicability

Being explicit about L2 technologies is exactly what MANET should not do. At least not in any limiting way. Of course if someone were to write an informative draft about (say) using OLSRv2 over IEEE 802.11 that would be fine. Though it would run the risk of suggesting to some that that is the only L2 suggested,, so I'd want the draft to make it clear that wasn't so. And anything that said OLSRv2 was intended for use over the following L2 protocols would be completely wrong. The point of routing at L3 is to be as L2 independent as possible.

If I've read the draft you mention it was a long time ago. Digging up 1998 drafts to reissue doesn't strike me as the most productive possible exercise.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687