Re: [manet] MANET protocols in the community network as Funkfeuer.

Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org> Sun, 14 October 2012 07:46 UTC

From: Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 09:46:21 +0200
To: Henning Rogge <hrogge@googlemail.com>
Cc: manet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [manet] MANET protocols in the community network as Funkfeuer.

On Oct 13, 2012, at 23:18 , Henning Rogge <hrogge@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Interesting question... the last time we worked on the draft the
> discussion bogged down with the question if this is the "right way" to
> do ETX.
>
> Maybe a split would be a good idea, we could have an informal document
> specifying the strategy we are using at Freifunk/Funkfeuer for ETX.
> And then we could work on how to transform this into a good OLSRv2
> metric.

I do not know if a split is the right thing to do - then again, I do not know that it isn't either.

I think that what the previous version of the I-D failed to do, and what caused the bogged-down discussion, was to frame properly what the content was about.

I think that producing an informational RFC saying something of the kind:

	"This is one way of doing ETX, specifically the one way that has shown to work
	  well in a large deployment in continuous operation. It is probably not the only way,
	  and perhaps not the best way, of doing ETX, but this is one way that's proven to
	  work well"

Would be quite useful.

I don't know if one "best way of calculating ETX" exists -- I do know that there's a saying that can be adapted to be appropriate here: "Best is the enemy of good".

Thomas