Re: [Manycouches] covid forecast of a (no)wave for Summer IETF in Philadelphia, USA

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 04 May 2022 08:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 10:46:50 +0200
To: manycouches@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Manycouches] covid forecast of a (no)wave for Summer IETF in Philadelphia, USA

For the state of Pennsylvania:

- the forecast for the next 4 weeks is a growth in number of
   cases.

   Based on their recent success rates, the selected models are: BPagano-
   RtDriven (forecasts an exponential growth), KITmetricslab-
   select_ensemble (a steady growth), MUNI-ARIMA (a steady growth)

- my empirical forecast still tells a peak on May 6th.  Probably I will
   be proved wrong, with a peak to appear a few weeks later, I dont know.
   I will know whether I was right or wrong in around 2 weeks.

For the Philadelphia County (this County is same thing as the City of
Philadelphia):

- the forecast for the next week is a very slight growth in the number
   of cases.

   Only the model COVIDhub-ensemble is available for Philadelphia; the
   other models available individually for Pennsylvania are not available
   individually for Philadelphia, even if they are 'averaged' in the
   'ensemble' model.

   This model COVIDhub-ensemble has proven to be optimistic in the recent
   past, i.e. it predicted less cases than the truth.

   Ideally, one would take the source code of the selected models for
   Pennsylvania data  (see above the model names) and apply them
   individually for Philadelphia data, to obtain a better forecast for
   this Philadelphia.

- my empirical forecast still tells a peak on May 15th.

   This is obtained if fitting a line through the surprisingly constant
   set of 3 equal values 133, 133, 133! (133 is the number of days
   between the observed peaks in Philadelphia : Nov. 29th, 2020, April
   11th, 2021, Aug. 22nd, 2021, Jan. 2nd, 2022, see the orange vertical
   bars at
https://www.phila.gov/programs/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/data/testing/
), and ignoring the first peak of April 5th, 2020,
   situated at 238 days from the second peak.  The reason of potential
   ignoring of this first peak is that measurements changed significantly
   in the first part of the pandemy, everywhere.

   If this happens (a 4th time a difference between peaks of 133 days)
   then I will have strong reason to doubt the data on phila.gov site.

   If on the other had one does not ignore the date of the first peak,
   then a parabolic could be fit (rather than a linear); this would
   forecast the next peak would be on August 1st, 2022 (at 211 days from
   Jan . 2nd, 2022, the last peak).

   As one can see, the range between those two forecasts (May 15th and
   August 1st) is way too wide to be of any use.

   I still look for an empirical method to predict the next peak for
   Philadelphia.

Alex