[Manycouches] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-shmoo-cancel-meeting-05: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 13 July 2021 20:26 UTC

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-shmoo-cancel-meeting@ietf.org, shmoo-chairs@ietf.org, manycouches@ietf.org, amelia@centr.org, amelia@centr.org
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:26:58 -0700
Subject: [Manycouches] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-shmoo-cancel-meeting-05: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-shmoo-cancel-meeting-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-shmoo-cancel-meeting/

COMMENT:

1. A small suggestion for the Abstract:

OLD:
   The IETF holds three in-person meetings per year to discuss and

NEW:
   The IETF ordinarily holds three in-person meetings per year to discuss and

2. I think this may have been raised already, but just in case:

   *  The number of critical support staff and contractors who can be at
      the venue.

Does this adequately capture the need for critical volunteers as well? I'm
thinking in particular of the NOC.

3. I reviewed the Github Editor's copy (as of July 13 16:00 EDT or so) and
noticed that the text "These remedies are listed in approximate declining order
of preference" was added to the end of §4. That directly conflicts with version
5's "presented in no particular order". I like the text in v5 and don't
particularly like the proposed edit.

4. Regarding

   The IETF SHOULD NOT reimburse registered attendees for unrecoverable
   travel expenses (airfare, hotel deposits, etc).

Has any consideration been given to adding some kind of text to the effect that
attendees might choose to protect themselves against such losses with
appropriate travel insurance? I appreciate that it would represent scope creep
(it's not directly germane to "providing criteria for making this judgement")
so I'm not bothered if this isn't adopted; however, I can see some benefits to
including it.

5. Regarding

   *  Cancellation SHOULD result in a full refund to all participants.
      It MAY be prorated if some portion of the sessions completed
      without incident.

I presume this has been discussed to death, and it's understood this may result
in the IETF eating sunk costs? (Similar applies to the rest of the bullets in
the list.) I do see there's an escape clause for "extraordinary threats to the
solvency of the organization".

6. Regarding

   This document introduces no new concerns for the security of internet

s/internet/Internet/. The NYT style is wrong, wrong, wrong on this one.

7. Is the Acknowledgements section empty deliberately?