Re: [MEDIACTRL] AD review: draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control package-09

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@wonderhamster.org> Thu, 28 January 2010 20:07 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>
To: Scott McGlashan <Scott.McGlashan@hp.com>, Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:06:45 -0600
Cc: draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control-package@tools.ietf.org, mediactrl@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] AD review: draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control package-09

Hi, Scott,

Thanks for taking care of this - Robert has just launched the control
framework, the IVR package, and the MIXER package for IETF Last Call.

This is a big step forward (and I look forward to the next big step, when
the documents are approved for publication as Proposed Standards ;-)

To the group,

Scott has made a one-sentence change in the draft that I agree with (and I
also agree with Robert that we had to say SOMETHING about whether requests
can "partially fail", whether the answer was "yes" or "no"), but I need to
make sure the working group agrees with it. The diff pops out for you at
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control-package-10.

So, what we have is a statement in one control package, but we do not
require atomicity for control packages in general - right?

For ease of reference in this thread, here's what MIXER-10 says:

   If the
   MS is not able to process the request and carry out the mixer
   operation (in whole or in part), then the request has failed: the MS
   MUST ensure that no part of the requested mixer operaton is carried
   out, and the MS MUST indicate the class of failure using an
   appropriate 4xx response code.

And here's what IVR-07 says, in roughly the same place:

   If the
   MS is not able to process the request and carry out the dialog
   operation, the request has failed and the MS MUST indicate the class
   of failure using an appropriate 4xx response code.

Do we have this right? Please let us know on-list!

Thanks,

Spencer