Re: [MEDIACTRL] AD review: draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control package-09

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@wonderhamster.org> Fri, 15 January 2010 19:39 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>, mediactrl@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:37:38 -0600
Cc: draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control-package@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] AD review: draft-ietf-mediactrl-mixer-control package-09

Dear Mediactrl,

> This draft is essentially ready to go. I have two questions/comments  for
> the group.

Robert is really trying to get Framework, IVR and MIXER into IETF Last Call
for publication, but we need to answer two questions that he asked. Please
look at these carefully.

> 1) As written, the reference to the XCON datamodel document needs to  be
> normative.
>      (You have to know what's defined there to know when a prefix is
> required, and
>        realistically, it's a must read to use any of the video  layouts
> defined there).
>      I'm expecting XCON to pubreq that document within a couple of  weeks,
> so making
>      the reference normative shouldn't slow down publication of this
> document.
>      Would anyone object to making that reference normative?

I think Robert is correct here. I think the only possible alternative is to
require all video layouts to be prefixed with a label, whether it's defined
in [XCON] or not (that's the dependency that caught Robert's eye). Does
anyone strongly disagree with moving the reference? to Normative?

Could the authors move this reference to Normative as requested and post a
new revision?

> 2) I'm not easily finding where framework (or this document) says what
> happens
>     when part of a command with multiple components fails. For  instance,
> in section
>     4.2.2, there's an example of a join command that operates two
> different volumes.
>     If one of those fails for some reason, does the other one fail  with
> it? Where is
>     the text that says this is so?

We really need to make sure we all have the same understanding here...
Please state yours on this mailing list! ... but Robert said he would not
gate IETF Last Call on this question.

Thanks,

Spencer