Re: [Megaco] Megaco: which spec to use?

Terry L Anderson <tlatla@verizon.net> Wed, 13 November 2002 20:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:17:42 -0500
From: Terry L Anderson <tlatla@verizon.net>
To: SHRI KUMAR <manikaran1947@yahoo.co.in>
CC: Anil Jangam <anilj@mahindrabt.com>, Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortelnetworks.com>, Megaco@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Megaco: which spec to use?
Sender: megaco-admin@ietf.org

On the ITU site the following are all available
H.248 (06/00) [the original v1 ] labeled as "in force"
H.248.1 (03/02) [the corregenda version of v1 with IG incorporated]
labeled as "superseded"
H.248.1 (05/02) [v2] labeled as "in force"

The "in force" status of H.248 (06/00) is erroneous but as far as I know
that version will continue to be available. It should be labeled as
"superseded" just as the 03/02 version is.

Both of the H.248.1 (03/02 and 05/02) will remain available.  Even
though 03/02 is labeled as "superseded" it will continue to be available
and is considered to be the official "v1" as 05/02 is the official "v2".
 The ITU only considers the most recent edition of a recommendation as
"in force" but that does not mean that earlier editions and versions
cannot be used.  Our negotiation procedures even allow MG and MGC to
negotiate the use of earlier "superseded" versions.

As mentioned by Kevin, we are working with the ITU folks to have the
version numbers (V1, V2 etc) printed on the first page of ITU
recommendations to help make this clearer.  Officially such version
numbers have no meaning to ITU but the version does appear in the ASN.1
and ABNF messages.  It will be clearer when it is also printed on the
first page of the recommendations.

It is also the convention of SG16 that all corrections in approved
Implementors Guides also be considered part of the standard and the
version affected is specified in the IG.  The current IG has correction
to V1 (03/02), to V2 (05/02) and corrections that affect both.
 Officially in the ITU these are not normative until they are included
in a new or revised recommendation, but SG16 convention has been to
consider them part of the standard once approved at a Study Group meeting.

Tom has explained his plans to republish these versions as RFCs for
easier access by IETF members, but I just wanted to reply to Shri that
it is certainly SG16's intention to have continued access to V1 and to
considered it an available protocol that can be used and negotiated
between MG and MGC.

SHRI KUMAR wrote:

>Hello Tom/ Anil
>
>But, then how H.248 (06/2000 the one that relates to
>RFC 3015 or vice-versa as Tom specified) is still in
>force on the ITU's site when H.248.1 (corr 03/2002)
>has been superseded by H.248.1 (05/2002)?
>I think creation of H.248.1 (-->.1) has changed the
>lineage of the H.248 in ITU. So, is the original H.248
>(ITU) going to survive this later onslaught? If yes,
>how can IETF obsolete RFC3015?
>
>Only Tom can clear this confusion.
>
>--shri
>
> --- Anil Jangam <anilj@mahindrabt.com> wrote: >
>inline..

Voice: +1 908.766.4463	        Mobile: +1 908.342.9595
http://www.gti.net/tla