Re: [MEXT] "buffer" action for flow binding

"Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov> Fri, 19 June 2009 16:57 UTC

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>
To: Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:57:20 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mext@ietf.org" <mext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] "buffer" action for flow binding

Yes, even for RTP it's very naive to assume that buffering in the
HA is productive, and even for RTP it can be counterproductive.
If the end host player uses short buffers to bound delay in the
application interactivity, the data you buffer in the HA will
likely be below the playback pointer by the time it arrives, and
simply be discarded.  You'll also be wasting time and bandwidth
transmitting this stale data across a possibly constrained link
only to have to tossed away by the application.  There are
certainly thresholds where HA buffering could be useful to an
A/V codec, but the time limits are quite heavily dependent on
the specific application software and its local configuration
which vary widely in the wild.  The limited potential for good
results combined with the definite possibility of bad results,
and the inherent additional complexity make this a non-starter
in my mind.

Wes Eddy
Network & Systems Architect
Verizon FNS / NASA GRC