Re: [MEXT] "buffer" action for flow binding

"Yuri Ismailov" <yuri.ismailov@ericsson.com> Tue, 23 June 2009 12:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:50:52 +0200
From: Yuri Ismailov <yuri.ismailov@ericsson.com>
To: w52006@huawei.com, "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>, Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] "buffer" action for flow binding

Yungui,

I'm entirely with you regarding 'Discard' action. I would add on top of it other specified actions as well. I do not see how these actions relate to mobility management. As you pointed out they are flow related and in my view should be handled by applications.
Moreover, specifically 'Discard' action, is quite usual firewall function but not in any way mobility support function.

And just one more time, the firewall function may be physically placed in the HA. However, why would one change firewall rules using mobility management protocol? I do not have any answer on that.

I think that the origin of the problem is binary format (really sorry for bringing it up again), where one cannot specify semantics of what can be done with flows, just flow IDs. Thus, it is necessary to have a number of options for delivering of such semantics. But not to forget about the purpose of the semnatics it should be (according to the charter) mobility management related. Using rules language would make things much more easier, just because the semantics is the part of the language description and parsing the language would produce unambiguios, correct, synchronized on both ends binding cashes.

Take again 'Discard' as an example. Semantically, one may come up with quite strange operations, which are sintactically correct: Add new flow binding and 'Discard' the flow. To avoid such things, the logic of mutual exclusiveness of various actions and options has to be introduced.
Parsing the language, on the other hand would remove both semantical and syntactical errors in operations, before producing meaningfull binding caches.

Regards
Yuri