Re: [MEXT] "buffer" action for flow binding

"Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov> Fri, 19 June 2009 01:00 UTC

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>
To: Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:00:52 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mext@ietf.org" <mext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] "buffer" action for flow binding

In general, it's enough to say that transports are robust to the temporary network hiccups you throw at them, and this applies not only to TCP, but SCTP, DCCP and other protocols as well.  These all contain their own mechanisms for estimating path properties and responding to changes in the path.  Yes, there may be a small performance dip, but the connections will live on and recover.  Hopefully you aren't handing over too frequently anyways ... and measurement data shows that many/most TCP connections are quite short (only a few segments) since webpages are only a small number of kB in size, on average.  Sometimes the buffering under discussion may be helpful; we can certainly tailor experiments and simulations that show that ... we can also tailor simulations and experiments to show that it's dangerous and can cause performance degradation instead of improvement under many conditions.  IP is assumed to be a best-effort service; no need to make it needlessly clever.

Don't assume that the upper layers are so simple and fragile that they need great amounts of help in order to perform, or you break them.  There are many papers on how link-layer ARQ leading to high jitter and delay spikes injures end-to-end transport performance.  RFC 3366 describes the danger in assuming that high-persistence of the lower layers should be used in delivering TCP segments and RFC 3481 documents a set of TCP extensions and tuning parameters designed for robustness to links with handovers.

There has also been an I-D discussed in TCPM several years ago about TCP-based response to connectivity changes if they are visible to the transport and not masked/hidden by the network layer:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schuetz-tcpm-tcp-rlci-03
The references in that I-D to [SHUETZ] and [EDDY] can be found on the web and contain simulation results showing performance issues that occur when the network layer tries to hide path changes from the transport.