Re: [MEXT] FW: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 23 February 2009 10:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:48:23 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Christian.Kaas-Petersen@tieto.com
Cc: mext@ietf.org, Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [MEXT] FW: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal

Side note about Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping... not sure about the DSMIPv6
aspect.

Christian.Kaas-Petersen@tieto.com a écrit :
> It is not clear to me, that RFC 3775 allows the exchange of Mobile
> Prefix Solicitations and Mobile Prefix Advertisements during
> bootstrapping.  If a mobile node is booting in a foreign network, and
>  has no home address, it has not yet made any registration with a
> home agent, then certainly the home agent has no way to send
> unsolicited MPA to a mobile node (RFC 3775 sec 6.8).

I agree.

I think MN would discover the HA (DHAAD to anycast address, derived from
the home prefix) before sending the MPS (Mobile Prefix Sol'n) to a
specific HA address.  Once the MN has the HA address, and receives the
MPA (Mobile Prefix Adv't) it can derive its Home Address from the prefix
in MPA; probably this prefix is the same as the prefix initially used to
form the HA anycast address, except MN is now sure to have the latest info.

> Should the mobile node attempt to send a MPS to the home agent, it is
>  a requirement the Home Address destination option is included in an
>  ESP protected packet (RFC 3775 sec 6.7), which means it must have a
> home address.  That's why I fail to understand how MPS/MPA can be
> used for bootstrapping, because the home address is required.

WEll, if the HA and MN don't have an SA, then they could run a dynamic
key formation (IKE?) right after the DHAAD phase.  I think this would
permit to protect the MPS/MPA exchange, without necessarily MN to have a
HoA.

Alex