Re: [MEXT] FW: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal

<Christian.Kaas-Petersen@tieto.com> Mon, 23 February 2009 10:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:35:56 +0100
From: Christian.Kaas-Petersen@tieto.com
To: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com, hesham@elevatemobile.com, mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] FW: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal

It is not clear to me, that RFC 3775 allows the exchange
of Mobile Prefix Solicitations and Mobile Prefix Advertisements
during bootstrapping.  If a mobile node is booting in a foreign network,
and has no home address, it has not yet made any registration with
a home agent, then certainly the home agent has no way to send
unsolicited MPA to a mobile node (RFC 3775 sec 6.8).  Should the
mobile node attempt to send a MPS to the home agent, it is a
requirement the Home Address destination option is included in an
ESP protected packet (RFC 3775 sec 6.7), which means it must have
a home address.  That's why I fail to understand how MPS/MPA can
be used for bootstrapping, because the home address is required.

In my view, this does not change with DSMIP, except that the home
address is no longer stored in a destination option but in the
(inner) IPv6 source address.  Because the mobile node already knows
its IPv6 home address, I should think it a valid functionality
to ask the home agent of any updates in the IPv6 home prefixes.

Christian