Re: [MEXT] FW: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal

<Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com> Fri, 20 February 2009 21:27 UTC

From: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
To: hesham@elevatemobile.com, mext@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:27:41 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [MEXT] FW: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal

Hi Hesham,

After looking at your proposed text, I must say that I am not totally
convinced.

Stepping back from the specific issue raised by Pasi for a moment,
- Do we really need to have the capability to obtain the prefix from the HA
when the MN does not have IPv6 connectivity to the HA? While I recognize the
fact that this mechanism is specified in RFC3775 as a means by which the MN
can obtain the prefix from the HA to bootstrap, I don't believe it has much
value.
Since other bootstrapping mechanisms have been developed, I do not see the
need for obtaining the prefix from the HA by an MN using the prefix
solicitation mechanism, especially in the case where the MN is attached via
IPv4 only. Hence I would suggest removing this feature entirely from the
DSMIP6 I-D. I do not see any harm in not having the capability to do prefix
solicitation when attached via an IPv4 only network.

-Raj