Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] MPLS-RT review of draft-tiruveedhula-mpls-mldp-mib-04

"Joan Cucchiara" <jcucchiara@mindspring.com> Thu, 21 May 2015 15:52 UTC

From: Joan Cucchiara <jcucchiara@mindspring.com>
To: 'Loa Andersson' <loa@pi.nu>, aldrin.ietf@gmail.com, 'Young Lee' <youngleetx@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 11:52:35 -0400
Cc: draft-tiruveedhula-mpls-mldp-mib@tools.ietf.org, mib-doctors@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org, 'Mach Chen' <mach.chen@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] MPLS-RT review of draft-tiruveedhula-mpls-mldp-mib-04

Hello,  (also cc'ing MIB Doctors)

To the question of is this MIB Module ready for WG adoption, unfortunately,  I would say "no" due to some very outdated practices that the authors are using which make the MIB Module NOT technically sound.    The following two issues are very well-documented in the MIB Review guidelines (RFC418).   These should be extremely easy fixes, but I would implore that the authors  take care NOT to repeat these outdated practices in future draft versions.

1) The  sub-id MUST be requested from IANA when the document becomes an RFC.  Please do NOT assign a sub-id yourselves.
Please refer to  RFC4181.

         ::= { mplsStdMIB 99 }

2) LAST-UPDATED and (latest) REVISION clause dates do not agree.   They should always agree.  Again, please refer to RFC4181.

Also, since the above needs to be updated, would also ask that the authors use the word "Notifications" instead of "Traps" in Section 4.  and also put the "END" clause on the MIB Module.

General Comments:
------------------------------

The approach of extending/Augmenting with existing MIB Modules, RFC3815 and RFC3813 is a good way to  approach this MIB Module in my opinion.   Also, glad to see that the REFERENCE Clauses are used as this helps out tremendously with reviewing and implementing.

Potential Unknown:

Would caution that NOT all of the tables seem to contain valid indices, as such, I do not completely understand all of the relationships between tables in this MIB and the other MIB Modules.  This may not be an issue at all, but just something to be aware of for future MIB reviews.   Having said that, it does seem that the authors are heading in a good direction by making use of existing MIB Modules with extending/augmenting tables in this draft.   At this point, I do not have a specific concern and think that this will be developed during the WG group process.

Review Considerations for Reviewers, specifically:
"whether the document is coherent, is it useful
(ie, is it likely to be actually useful in operational networks), and is the
document technically sound?  We are interested in knowing whether the
document is ready to be considered for WG adoption (ie, it doesn't have to
be perfect at this point, but should be a good start)."

Document is coherent in that the objects defined are useful and support new features of LDP.  Also, the overall organization seems like a good approach.   I think a good deal of thought went into the proposed MIB Module with regard to leveraging from existing MIB Modules.

I do think that it would be useful in an operational network as this MIB Module extends/augments existing MIB Modules which are widely deployed.

Thanks,
 -Joan