Re: [middisc] TCP middlebox option requirements

Andrew Knutsen <andrew.knutsen@bluecoat.com> Fri, 21 May 2010 20:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:23:06 -0700
From: Andrew Knutsen <andrew.knutsen@bluecoat.com>
To: middisc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [middisc] TCP middlebox option requirements

    Thanks Ananth.

    One possibility that Jamshid and I talked about addresses concerns
about using 3 bytes for the OUI. We could skip it (and the P bit), and
break up the 15 bits or so of "device capability" into an IANA-assigned
vendor code of maybe 7 bits, leaving 8 bits (or so) for vendor-specific
type. There could be one or more "standard" vendor codes for
multi-vendor interoperability (ie, IANA-assigned types), and an
extension code if we run out of room.

    Perhaps we also need to define the requirements for getting a vendor
code or a standard type -- for instance, we might not want any
individual to be able to get a vendor code, since they are limited; and
the standard types would need some documentation, but perhaps not as
widely reviewed as for a top-level option kind.

Andrew