Re: [middisc] TCP middlebox option requirements

Mark Day <Mark.Day@riverbed.com> Mon, 24 May 2010 13:41 UTC

From: Mark Day <Mark.Day@riverbed.com>
To: Andrew Knutsen <andrew.knutsen@bluecoat.com>, "middisc@ietf.org" <middisc@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:40:50 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [middisc] TCP middlebox option requirements

Two additional issues seem worth clarifying since I'm not sure how others would view them.

1. Are we concerned strictly with autodiscovery options, or are we attempting to understand the requirements for options usage generally among current symmetric middleboxes?  For example, Riverbed uses a different option for some forms of addressing information in situations after the two communicating peers have been established by autodiscovery.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that other vendors have other similar schemes.

2. Don't we also need to consider requirements for autodiscovery options in IPv6 environments?

In both cases, I can see a pragmatic argument for focusing narrowly vs. an architectural argument for considering broader issues. IPv4 autodiscovery is the clear existing interoperability/coexistence problem and may be solvable by simply agreeing on an option number and vendor id scheme, while the other areas might not yet have enough experience and implementations to justify a standard.  And yet it feels to me like we might solve one option-related problem just to trip across another similar one soon afterward.

--Mark