Re: [mif] The formation of the design team

Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com> Thu, 04 April 2013 20:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:01:14 -0400
From: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
To: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org>
Cc: mif@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mif] The formation of the design team

What I'd like to see happen in the context of MIF is a collaborative
effort to identify limitations in the Internet architecture that are
exposed by the existence of hosts with multiple active Internet interfaces.

But the community shouldn't rely on a committee to recommend changes to
the architecture.   Nor should an effort to identify possible changes in
the architecture be narrowly scoped in the way that IETF WGs tend to be
scoped.   Architectural changes need to consider broad effects, be able
to touch multiple protocols and levels, and be able to address multiple
kinds of limitations at once - while still being designed to facilitate
an orderly transition and to work well during that transition.

So I think that actual proposals for changes to the Internet
architecture need to come from individual authors (or small groups of
authors) who don't have any WG or other endorsement for their efforts.
But those proposals need to be informed by input from several different
WGs and/or areas.   So MIF isn't the only group that needs to be
identifying lists of architectural limitations.

Keith