Re: [mif] about draft-hui-ip-multiple-connections-ps-02

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Thu, 19 March 2009 09:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:12:40 +0100
From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
To: Min Hui <huimin.cmcc@gmail.com>
Cc: mif <mif@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mif] about draft-hui-ip-multiple-connections-ps-02

Min Hui escribió:

>>>     2.2.3. TOS consideration
>>>
>>>  TOS can be a parameter of routing item to indicate which kind of IP
>>>  data is suitable to deliver by this routing. The multiple interfaces
>>>  will connect to multiple access networks, so that the preference of
>>>  TOS need to be merged to have a better performance of data delivery.
>>>  For example, the WiFi access could indicate itself has broader
>>>  bandwidth comparing with 2G access, and set the TOS as broad
>>>  bandwidth. When another interface connects the Ethernet, the TOS is
>>>  also set as broad bandwidth preferred. In this situation, it needs
>>>  some mechanism to merge and reorder the TOS getting form multiple
>>>  interfaces.
>>>
>>> I am not sure how widely used is this...
>>>
>>> A: As depicted in RFC1122, TOS is a necessary parameter to choose a
>>> suitable routing. And different applications have different
>>> requirements of access network, which can be reflected as TOS. So we
>>> think TOS will be useful in multiple interface situations.
>>>

>> right, my question was how widely used is this. I mean how much of the
>> internet traffic actually sets the TOS?
>>

> The 3G network use TOS as one of the QoS parameters, and we suppose to
> use it in the multiple interfaces situation.

ok, but does any other network uses this?
I mean, if only 3g networks use this, this is only a problem when
simultaneously connecting to multiple 3G networks, so i am not sure how
common this is

>>>  5 Network side should be capable of distributing the IP flow
>>>  according to some parameters, such as IP address prefix, network type
>>>  and so on.
>>>
>>> i don't understnad what you mean by this one, could you expand?
>>>
>>> A: That is the policy in the network side. Corresponding to the policy
>>> of sending data mentioned in the fourth bullet, the policy of
>>> receiving data is also needed, which can be apply in the network side.
>>> The network can determine forward a specific IP flow to which
>>> interface of the destination host according to the policy.
>>>

>> right, i see what you mean. I am not sure which element of the network would
>> do that... i mean, are you assuming that all interfaces are being connected
>> to the same ISP? If not, i am not sure how would you do this...
>>

> In technical perspective,  the element would be the gateway which in
> charge of all the interfaces, e.g. PDN GW in 3GPP architecture, LMA in
> PMIP domain; In deployment perspective, it's better when all
> interfaces connect to the same ISP, the negotiation is needed when
> multiple ISP are involved.

but it is not the network who can decide the IP address to use to
forward packets....

I mean, suppose that you have a node A in the internet that wants to
send a flow to a mif device.
Let's suppose that the MIF device has different IP addresses per interface
Now, the selection of the interface is perfromed by node A when it
selects the destiantion address it will send the flow to. I  fail to see
how the netwokr would be able to send packet to a different address
(wihtout using MIP, of course)

What is your view on this?

Regards, marcelo