Re: [mif] draft-deng-mif-api-session-continuity-guide-02

<pierrick.seite@orange.com> Wed, 25 July 2012 15:01 UTC

From: pierrick.seite@orange.com
To: 'Hui Deng' <denghui02@gmail.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:01:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.4]
Cc: "mif@ietf.org" <mif@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mif] draft-deng-mif-api-session-continuity-guide-02

Hi Hui,

I've just gone through this draft and I think it is a good start. In this I-D, the MIF just exposes the list of available IP connection to the  application which is supposed to make the selection of the preferred interface. Triggers for selection process are IP connectivity coming up or going down. That's one valid use-case, but I guess there are another which would be worth to cover.
For example, it is said that the application can switch over interface without disrupting communications. Here I guess that, implicitly, we assume an IP address change ant that the application can survive to this IP address change. That's ok, but not all applications can switch over interface without disrupting communication, and additional mechanisms may come into play (e.g. IP mobility management).
Also, in steps 5/section 4, it is said that the application could make the decision to turn off the interface. But sometimes it cannot be as simple as this; for example, what if another application is using the interface at the same time... kind of coordination is required here. So, maybe it would be useful to identify concrete use-cases and describe the use of MIF API with respect to these use-cases.

Then, the text refers to the decision process for selecting a new interface based on policy or user preferences. I agree that the decision process is not part of the MIF API; typically it may be in the scope of the high-level API we have sometimes evoked (typically, in the OMA workshop during last IEF meeting ). If I remember well, during IETF83, we said that it would be good to document such high-level API as well; is it still in the TODO list of the WG?

Another thing that comes to my mind: mapping dynamically an IP flow to an interface, as suggested in the draft,  might have an impact on the terminal policy table. IMHO, it could be a function of the MIF API to update routing table according to application decision, what do you think?

BTW, I'd suggest to swap steps #1 and #2 in both sections 4 and 5. It is better to subscribe to MIF API notifications before attaching to an interface; so that the application can fetch the  list of available interfaces before selecting one.

Br,
Pierrick