Re: [Mip6] mip6-aaa frameworks

Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@dif.um.es> Tue, 15 February 2005 19:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:12:24 +0100
From: Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@dif.um.es>
To: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@samsung.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip6] mip6-aaa frameworks
Cc: mip6@ietf.org
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Alper,all

I think this classification could be summarized in two models (agent
sequence and pull sequence) in this sense:

Taking into account that HA would be service equipment for Mobile IPv6
service then:

if people want pull sequence then they need to know HA address and
execute some kind of protocol between MT and NAS(HA) and HA contacts AAA
server (framework 4)

MT------HA------AAA

if people want (framework 1, framework 2, framework 3) to deliver MIP6
configuration parameters with network access, agent sequence could fit
in the majority of these cases

MT-----AAA-----HA

note1 : you may want to include draft-ohba-mip6-boot-arch-dhcp-00.txt in
framework 2.
note2 : draft-bournelle-pana-mip6-00 can match with sequences shown by
draft-ohba-aaaarch-authorization-delegation-00

Regards.

Alper Yegin wrote:

>This is an attempt to enumerate possible MIP6-AAA frameworks, and start
>discussions on for which one(s) IETF shall pursue standardization.
>
>Framework 1:
>------------
>Using network access AAA to deliver MIP6 configuration parameters from
>the AAA server to the MN.
>
>MIP6 configuration is directly delivered from the AAA server to the MN
>during network access AAA, in-band with the authentication (e.g.,
>transported by EAP or EAP methods).
>
>Related I-Ds:
>
>draft-giaretta-mip6-authorization-eap-01
>draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03
>draft-ohnishi-mip6-aaa-problem-statement-00

>The end2end transport between the AAA and the MN is the key. Use of EAP
>for this somewhat network access unrelated "configuration" is not
>recommended as far as I understand. One can design his own EAP method to
>do that, yet that would have limited applicability.
>

>Framework 2:
>------------
>Using network access AAA to deliver MIP6 configuration parameters from
>the AAA server to the NAS. It is assumed that parameters will be
>delivered from the NAS to the MN via another protocol (e.g., DHCP, PANA,
>etc.)
>
>Related I-Ds:
>
>draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius-00
>draft-jang-dhc-haopt-00

>This is similar to NAS learning the IP address for the connected host
>via RADIUS, and delivering it to the host via DHCP.
>
>James had a comment regarding not having to support intra-operator
>interoperability. I think regardless of the deployment, interoperability
>between vendors is the important. Also, I was not sure on the complexity
>argument.
>
>3GPP2 has already chosen this scheme. Some other SDO(s) may follow the
>suit.
>
>Framework 3:
>------------
>Piggybacking MIP6 signaling (BU) with network access AAA. In-band with
>the network access authentication execution, the MN delivers
>(piggybacks) a BU to the AAA server. The AAA server may have to relay
>the BU to the HA (unless collocated).
>
>Related I-D:
>
>draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03

>While the performance benefits are clear, limited applicability (not
>always the network access and mobility services are bundled) and
>complexity are concerning.
>

>Framework 4:
>------------
>A backend AAA protocol is executed between the HA and the AAA server in
>response to the MIP6 signaling between the MN and the HA. Similar to the
>use of AAA protocols with MIPv4 co-located care-of address case.
>
>Related I-Ds:
>
>draft-giaretta-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-00.txt
>draft-yegin-mip6-aaa-fwk-00.txt

>This one appears to be the most needed framework. It is assumed that MN
>already knows the HA address.
>

>Are there other frameworks to add?

> [...]

Rafael Marin Lopez
Faculty of Computer Science-University of Murcia
30071 Murcia - Spain
Telf: +34968367645    e-mail: rafa@dif.um.es