MIP6-AAA Fwk 2 (was RE: [Mip6] mip6-aaa frameworks)

Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@samsung.com> Wed, 16 February 2005 16:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:04:12 -0800
From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@samsung.com>
Subject: MIP6-AAA Fwk 2 (was RE: [Mip6] mip6-aaa frameworks)
To: 'James Kempf' <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>, mip6@ietf.org
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

(Catching up with e-mail... )

> > Framework 2:
> > ------------
> > Using network access AAA to deliver MIP6 configuration parameters
from
> > the AAA server to the NAS. It is assumed that parameters will be
> > delivered from the NAS to the MN via another protocol (e.g., DHCP,
PANA,
> > etc.)
> >
> > Related I-Ds:
> >
> > draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius-00
> > draft-jang-dhc-haopt-00

> > This is similar to NAS learning the IP address for the connected
host
> > via RADIUS, and delivering it to the host via DHCP.
> >
> > James had a comment regarding not having to support intra-operator
> > interoperability. I think regardless of the deployment,
interoperability
> > between vendors is the important. Also, I was not sure on the
complexity
> > argument.
> >

> Consider the following. Suppose RADIUS is used to transfer operator
A's HA
> addresses from operator A's AAA server to operator B's NAS. First
question
> is whether the addresses are delivered every time a roamed host makes
> DHCP
> request for the HA address?

Since network access AAA happens before DHCP takes place, the HA address
should be delivered via RADIUS even before MN asks for it.

> If not and there is any caching going on, then
> the addresses could get stale.

It'd be as fresh as the network access session.

> Second question is how the NAS
> differentiates
> which home operator to ask for the addresses?

NAS gets what AAA home server (for network access) delivers.

> Presumably an NAI but is
> that
> separate or combined with DHCP? This is a big change in the basic IETF
> DHCP
> architecture, IMHO. Managing DHCP configuration information within an
> operator's domain is difficult enough.

I don't see that. Please see newly issued RFC 4014. Or,
Framed-IP-address attribute as defined in RFC 2865.

> > 3GPP2 has already chosen this scheme. Some other SDO(s) may follow
the
> > suit.
> >

> Can someone provide more details here? As far as I know, in the
current
> 3GPP2 MIP4 system, the PDSN is both home and foreign agent (please
correct
> if this is wrong), so I don't see how DHCP would come into the
picture.
> How
> are they planning on changing that for MIP6? Are they really planning
on
> distributing the addresses of home agents between operators or just
within
> single operator?

I'll let 3GPP2 folks comment on that.

Alper