Re: [Mip6] Comments on jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana

"Junghoon Jee" <jhjee@etri.re.kr> Mon, 08 November 2004 14:22 UTC

From: Junghoon Jee <jhjee@etri.re.kr>
To: Julien Bournelle <Julien.Bournelle@int-evry.fr>
Subject: Re: [Mip6] Comments on jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:58:54 -0500
Cc: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@samsung.com>, mip6@ietf.org, Tschofenig Hannes <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hello, Julien.

> hi,
>
>  just a little comment inline,
>
> > > ps: it might be good to reference an old draft
> > > <draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-02.txt> which proposed the same approach.
> > > i also remember that julien published a draft with a similar idea some time
> > > ago.
> >
> > The previous draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-03.txt is a good reference for our work.
> > In that draft, BU message is processed during the AAA auth. & authorization phase.
> > The BU message can be piggybacked to the AAA auth request message
> > or it can be produced on the AAA server.
> > In the draft-jee-mip6-bootstrap-aaa-00, BU is processed after the AAA auth & authorization phase.
> > This is because the BU MUST be protected by the IPsec SA according to the RFC 3775.
> > If the  draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt is used,
> > BU may be piggybacked during the AAA auth& authorization phase if the MN's CoA is configured.
>
> I think that one of the major issue with this approach (defining a
> specific AAA application for Mobile IPv6) is that all visited network
> MUST use this specific AAA application if you want to bootstrapp Mobile
> IPv6.  Thus, if  the visited network uses
> Diameter-EAP or RADIUS-EAP, you can't bootstrapp Mobile IPv6. This imply that all
> operators should deploy this solution.

> With our approach (draft-giaretta), the visited network does not need to
> Mobile IPV6 aware.
>
> julien.bournelle@int-evry.fr

Right. With my approach(draft-jee), a specific new Diameter Application is required to bootstrap
mobile nodes. In my opinion, there are pros. & cons. in using a new Diameter Application or not.
New Diameter Mobile IPv6 Bootstrapping Application(draft-jee) supports the HA assignment in the
Visited network. If you use a previous Diameter EAP or RADIUS EAP, you cannnot assign
a HA in the visited domain. Some of modification or adding are required.
The HA assignment in the visited domain is a requirement item in the previous I-D(draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03.txt).
This point is specified in the section 5.5 of that I-D.

i think we should consider the HA assignment in the visited domain not only in the home domain.

Junghoon