Re: [Mip6] Comments on jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana

"Junghoon Jee" <jhjee@etri.re.kr> Thu, 04 November 2004 12:57 UTC

From: Junghoon Jee <jhjee@etri.re.kr>
To: Tschofenig Hannes <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>, Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@samsung.com>, mip6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mip6] Comments on jee-mip6-bootstrap-pana
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:52:00 +0900
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hannes,

> when i read the draft i came accross the same questions.
>
> i like your pull (instead of the push approach). this might also work nicely
> with <draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt>.

Can you explain this point more concretely ?

> i wasn't sure how and when the MIPv6-AAA-Key is computed as well.

I answered that question through my previous mail.
For clarity,
The AAA server and the MN maintains the key mapping table, MIPv6-AAA-Key-Id vs. MIPv6-AAA-Key.
When EAP authentication is succeeded, the MIPv6-AAA-Key and its id. are stored to the key mapping table.
The MIPv6-AAA-Key can be an AAA-Key or concatenation of the AAA-Key' with AAA-Key'' if multiple
session keys are derived by the EAP authentication process.
The choice of which key to use to derive MIPv6 IKE PSK is determined by the AAA home server.
The AAA home server notifies the MN which key to use by sending the MIPv6-AAA-Key-Id.

> a minor correction to your mail: the diameter application ships the
> parameters to the PAA (and not to the mobile node). this is the reason why a
> pana protocol is required which carries the parameters finally to the end
> host. this is probably the most important difference with regard to the
> <draft-giaretta-mip6-authorization-eap> draft.

Right, I agree with you.

> ps: it might be good to reference an old draft
> <draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-02.txt> which proposed the same approach.
> i also remember that julien published a draft with a similar idea some time
> ago.

The previous draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-03.txt is a good reference for our work.
In that draft, BU message is processed during the AAA auth. & authorization phase.
The BU message can be piggybacked to the AAA auth request message
or it can be produced on the AAA server.
In the draft-jee-mip6-bootstrap-aaa-00, BU is processed after the AAA auth & authorization phase.
This is because the BU MUST be protected by the IPsec SA according to the RFC 3775.
If the  draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt is used,
BU may be piggybacked during the AAA auth& authorization phase if the MN's CoA is configured.

Junghoon