[MIPSHOP-MIH-DT] Still [Transport] issues

<Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com> Tue, 04 September 2007 09:45 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 04:45:28 -0500
From: Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com
To: telemaco.melia@netlab.nec.de, mipshop-mih-dt@ietf.org
Subject: [MIPSHOP-MIH-DT] Still [Transport] issues

Hi,

I am still wondering, if the transport we have chosen are the right
ones. I understand that ES and CS are rather small messages, and having
UDP carrying them would be good enough. The problem is, that these two
types of messages fall under a "push" model, where the network would
unsolicitedly send these messages over udp. If there are to be
middlebozes in between, those will cause problems. Current NATs do not
have a well specified timeout period but it seems that 30 sec is quite
ofter used.

IS on the other had is more like a pull model, so no major problems for
the middleboxes. If MIH would have applic layer fragmentation, then I'd
say udp would certainly fit better here than tcp.

We could say that any choice is as good (or as bad) as the other one, it
mainly depends on the deployment scenario which we still do no know. I
was just trying to point out that avoiding udp fragmentation must not be
the only consideration to be taken into account.

Hopefully we can spend a few minutes on these issues on the conf call.

- gabor