Re: HOKEY and the AAA FMIP Handover Keys Draft? (was: Re: [Mipshop] RE: WG Consensus call on AAA based handover keys forFMIPv6)

"James Kempf" <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com> Tue, 01 May 2007 19:22 UTC

From: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
To: Vijay Devarapalli <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com>
Subject: Re: HOKEY and the AAA FMIP Handover Keys Draft? (was: Re: [Mipshop] RE: WG Consensus call on AAA based handover keys forFMIPv6)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 08:44:32 -0700
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org

Thanx, Vijay!!

        jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vijay Devarapalli" <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com>
To: "James Kempf" <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
Cc: <mipshop@ietf.org>; "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 6:16 PM
Subject: RE: HOKEY and the AAA FMIP Handover Keys Draft? (was: Re: [Mipshop]
RE: WG Consensus call on AAA based handover keys forFMIPv6)

Hello Jim,

Good question.

The way I understand it, draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy-00
generates USRK (Usage Specific Root Key) as part of access
authentication. These USRKs can be used by "other"
applications. I don't think the USRKs can be used directly
(somebody correct me if I am wrong). So you still need a
mechanism to generate FMIPv6 specific keys from the USRKs
generated by the HOKEY protocols.

Now coming to draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa, one
could equate an USRK with the Handover Master Key (HMK).

Vijay