RE: [Mipshop] WG Consensus call on AAA based handover keys for FMIPv6

"Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com> Mon, 23 April 2007 17:40 UTC

Subject: RE: [Mipshop] WG Consensus call on AAA based handover keys for FMIPv6
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:40:36 -0700
From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org

I share Hannes's thoughts. This consensus call, as any call that may be
issued yet again on draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa, has serious
procedural inconsistencies.

In a consensus call issued on 3/22/06, the chairs asked for adoption of
6 drafts as WG items, including draft-vidya. There was pretty much equal
support to adopt all the drafts and some recommendations on a mobility
directorate review for 3 drafts:

draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa
draft-kempf-mobopts-handover-key
draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-03.txt

The chairs then decided (in an email to the list on 4/11/06) to delay
adoption of all those 3 drafts until after the MobDir review (the other
3 drafts were immediately adopted). A MobDir review of draft-vidya was
posted to the list on 5/29/06; one on draft-kempf was posted on 1/27/07
and no MobDir review was posted on draft-arkko (sorry if I missed it).
In addition, a security review on draft-vidya was also posted. All
review comments posted have been addressed in
draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-04.

Since then, all the 5 other drafts that were part of the original
consensus call have progressed (to varying degrees), while draft-vidya
has been held without explanation. We have discussed potential conflicts
between draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key and RFC3972 that need to be
resolved before that is an acceptable solution to move FMIPv6 to a PS.
We need to discuss the implications of RFC3972 on that document on the
list and see what needs to be done, before stating something along the
lines of "We have already adopted draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key as a
WG document for the mechanism based on SeND. This is sufficient for
advancing FMIPv6 as a proposed standard.", as the email from the chairs
presently states.

All said and done, I find this process completely unacceptable and have
told the chairs that draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa is NOT a
candidate for consideration in a procedurally inconsistent environment
such as this one.

Regards,
Vidya