Re: [mmox] XML serialization

"Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com> Mon, 23 February 2009 21:46 UTC

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
To: Jon Watte <jwatte@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:46:58 -0800
Cc: mmox@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mmox] XML serialization

Catherine... Jon...

can you create a proposal for a next generation XML serialization?

the existing serialization is in current use by SL, OpenSim and PyOGP,
so there's probably going to be a lot of resistance to changing
something that currently works and is deployed.

keep in mind, however, that OGP does not use XML to represent it's
PDUs, it uses LLSD. XML is one of three defined serializations of
LLSD. it's a subtle difference, but important.

for instance... is there a benefit to explicitly adding support for
namespaces to the XML serialization? there was a bit of discussion
about this amongst some AWG members, and the consensus was... "why
bother? the XML (presentation layer) is not the place where you want
to extend the PDU... you want to extend it in the LLSD / LLIDL
definition of the interaction."

but, i still think it's an interesting idea as it might allow systems
that use XML serialization exclusively to extend display and
distribution options of various PDUs.

-cheers
-m